Home > Community Blog Topics > The Best and Worst of WoW

The Best and Worst of WoW

A little over a year ago, right before the MOP launch, I blogged a bit about the nostalgia of past expansions. It started on our guild forums and I just took it from there. This weeks WoW Insider’s Community Blog Topic is about our most and least favorite expansions.

This is actually a hard question to answer. There are so many things I love and hate about each expansion….

(Warning, there is a little spoiler about the end of MOP, for those that have not defeated Garrosh)

The Burning Crusade

I was born in TBC. I played a trial account in vanilla, but that lasted about 2 days. I actually subscribed to this addiction in 2007. I’ll always have a soft spot for this expansion, because this is where it all started for me. I was a nub huntard who became pro at chain trapping mobs, until I switched to healing for the rest of my life.

Looking back on this expansion, this had to be one of my favorites, simply because Karazhan was the best raid ever, and we got to play pretty horde blood elves. When I started though, I wanted to be a dranei. But Yanni told me he would disown me if I ever looked at that faction again. So a blood elf I was! Although getting to play a zombie was pretty fun too. I remember the leveling grind to 70. Everyone in my guild hung out in Shattrath City (“Shat” for short). I had never been to Shat and it sounded like a magical place I couldn’t wait to get to. I was pretty disappointed in it when I got there.

My guild was a very casual guild, and we were all a bunch of noobs trying to find our way around the world. (Shhh don’t tell Mavros or Taki). We were in Kara for about a year or so, until we “graduated” to the 25 man raids (Gruul and Mag). We never got past Gruul/Mag that expansion. I ended up leaving the guild and joining up with Gene’s guild, outrolling him on Attumen’s horse, then joining a T6 guild working through Sunwell Plateu. That lasted about a day. But at least I got to see Felmyst die.

What I loved about TBC:

• Karazhan
  • Blood Elves
  • Learning to Fly
  • Having to use crowd control (cc)
  • Needing to be attuned to get into heroics or certain raids (that shit would come in handy now with LFD and LFR)
  • Netherwing mounts

What I hated about TBC:

• Isle of Quel’danas
  • Introduction of daily quests (/shakes fist)
  • 6 hour Shadowlabs runs (/mutters incoherently to myself)
  • Rep Grinds (oh the pain of Chief Exalted Officer.…).
  • Fel Reaver
  • Hellfire Peninsula (eff that entire place)

Wrath of the Lich King

I can’t honestly say I have a lot of fond memories in Wrath. The expansion itself was actually not bad. But my gaming experience had a lot to be desired. For it was during this expansion that I inherited the guild leadership of Blood Red Skies, and had to deal with all the drama and flying poo that came with it. From two explosions to the formation of MT (thanks Tubbs,  you jerk lol) to the revolving door of Raid Leaders (including the one that went completely insane), Wrath was a tough expansion for me. But there were a few things about that expansion that I really enjoyed.

What I loved about Wrath:

• Ulduar (second best raid behind Kara)
  • The return of Naxx
  • The Lich King fight
  • Easier heroic dungeons (no more 6 hour slabs tyvm)
  • Byebye attunements!
  • Easier rep grinds (thank you dungeon faction tabards)
  • Dalaran
  • The graphics in Howling Fjord
  • The dungeon finder tool
  • Separate lockouts for 10 and 25 man raids
  • Battle for Gilneas and Twin Peaks BGs
  • The Achievements system

What I hated about Wrath:

• Halls of Reflection
  • Wintergrasp
  • Vehicle combat
  • 25 man raiding had significant better loot than 10, which really hurt 10 man guilds
  • Legendary mats only attainable in 25 man raiding, which really hurt 10 man guilds
  • Isle of Conquest
  • The Achievements system (why can’t the points actually COUNT for something?)
  • Death Knights. Everyone had one. Nobody could actually play one.
  • Professor Putricide trash

Cataclysm

I think this may be my least favorite expansion (although MOP is right down there as well). For oh so many reasons. Personally, MT had a great expansion here, finishing in the top 10 on the server. But again, we had a bit of a revolving door with Raid Leaders until Mavros came in and saved the day.

What I loved about Cataclysm:

• The Silverpine quests (horde)
  • The Goblin starting area
  • The Indiana Jones questline in Uldum
  • Southshore buried under a pool of slime
  • The Welcome to the Machine quest (Best. Quest. Ever.)
  • Flying in Azeroth
  • Reforging and Transmogrification
  • The Thrall and Aggra love story

What I hated about Cataclysm:

• The entire raiding experience. Nefarian might have been the hardest boss of the entire xpac. Maybe Ragnoros. But it certainly wasn’t the end raid.
  • Dragon Soul. The content was so ridiculously easy, that the defeat of the end boss was trivial and anticlimactic. Even on heroic.
  • LFR. WHY BLIZZ WHY?! When my alt facerolled through Deathwing’s fall, before my main saw him die, I wanted to just… throat punch a squirrel.
  • Vashj’ir (f’ing underwater zones). Fill it with dirt and plant a tree. If Blizzard makes another underwater zone I quit.
  • Tol Barad (I never liked the open PVP zones)
  • The Hyjal dailies (ALY DOESN’T DO DAILIES!)
  • The Barrens – this is HORDE TERRITORY. The Alliance are NOT allowed to have any stake in it. Give us back the south!
  • The new guild system (rep, level). Nice idea, falls flat in its potential.
  • The difficulty heroic dungeons started out (3 hours in Deadmines wtf)
  • Heroic Deadmines. Eff that place. Right in the ear.
  • The 5 man version of Zul’Gurub. Eff that place. Right in the ear. The snake boss can go die in a fire.
  • The difficulty went backwards – it started out hard, and ramped down instead of the other way around.
  • Recycling old content. Hi again Rag. Hi again lootship. No new zones, just remakes of the old ones.
  • Female Worgens
  • Ultraxion trash

Mists of Pandaria

I don’t like this expansion. I’ve made no secret about that. I hated the idea of a playable pandaren race. Yes I know I have 2 pandas because they’re cute. But still, the whole idea of this panda content and playable pandas is stupid.

What I love about Mists:

• The graphics of Pandaria. So pretty.
  • Panda females are so cute
  • Overthrowing that douchenozzle Garrosh
  • Vol’Jin for Warchief!!
  • Connecting realms (if it happens)

What I hate about Mists:

• What the bloody hell did Blizzard do to PVP?!
  • The rep grinds. Oh the rep grinds. Someone stab me repeatedly in the eye with a spoon please.
  • The dailies. Oh the dailies. Someone stab me repeatedly in the eye with a spoon please.
  • The leveling experience. From 85-90 was an exercise in torture. And then I did it 8 more times so far.
  • The Tornadoes. I hate tornadoes. HATE.
  • The bugs. I hate bugs. HATE. Dread Wastes needs to be set on fire.
  • BUGS AND TORNADOES. Heart of Fear needs to be set on fire.
  • Gastropods
  • Lorewalker Cho (that dude is annoying!)
  • Tier, Justice and Valor vendor location (it’s a great idea to put these guys in the most inconvenient corner of the world)
  • Legendaries for everyone
  • Solo scenarios as a healer (Wrathion’s scenarios make me want to throat punch a squirrel)
  • Having both LFR and Flex raid modes co-exist. LFR makes me want to throat punch a squirrel
  • Pokemon. Really, blizz?
  • AND WHAT THE BLOODY HELL DID BLIZZARD DO TO PVP?!

So, from an analytical standpoint….this is how I felt about each xpac……

Untitled

This means that, surprisingly, Wrath was actually my favorite expansion, despite my personal gaming experiences and TBC nostalgia. Also a bit surprisingly, MOP edged out Cataclysm as my least favorite expansion. But it’s not as surprising when I really look at it this way: MOP by comparison to the last expansion has been only a bit worse in my opinion. However, Cataclysm, by comparison to the previous expansion was a colossal disappointment.

Either way, the trend is heading downward in terms of my satisfaction in WoW. I’m not quite sure where the “rock bottom” is here when there’s nowhere to go but back up…but I have hope that the next expansion brings that curve at least back to the line of scrimmage to keep me interested for much longer.

squirrel1

Please Blizzard, make the next expansion better. Save the squirrels from being punched in the throat. They don’t deserve it.

Categories: Community Blog Topics
  1. moist
    September 30, 2013 at 9:18 am | #1

In DGF, we killed gruul and mags, we couldn’t down loot reaver in The The, get it right damnit!

From raiding perspective only as that is all that maters to me:

Vanilla – all new and epic, so much fun, but the type of fun I never want to go back to. I raided nearly every night.

TBC – best content WORST character development. 1 button spam rotations and needing ot farm a bazillion raid mats sucked.

WOTLK – really solid raid content, best end boss as far as story goes and very gratifying, but healers and character rotations were blah. shaman RT-CHx3-RT and pallies with a 2-3 button rotation. Meh, not good. Spam healing was the norm and for that, wotlk fell short of other xpacs. The nice thing was healers still had roles. Tank/Raid healing. That is all but gone now.

Cata – Best H 5 mans ever. So sad they nerfed them. A true challenge that got QQed and nerfed into the ground so they could be facerolled. the beginning of really awesome character development and balance across all specs began. t11 and t12 were awesome, t13 was not and ruined Cata, DW was so meh, the constant nerfs were meh. LFR also began, hate lfr. still do, will always hate it. Cata could have been great, T13 and lfr ruined it.

MOP – Good raid content, a lot of balance across bosses and the best character development and balance we have ever seen. Other things in MoP may have sucked, but the character development is good. The only drawback is maybe its too balanced and we are seeing homogenization, too much homogenization.

I am still addicted and embrace most of the changes. I think a lot will change in next xpac, we shall see.

2. The Dictator
    September 30, 2013 at 3:34 pm | #2

Like Mav said, we got stuck on Loot Reaver…there was this one chick that had a reaaaallly big problem avoiding the bad, you might know her ; )

I can’t comment on Vanilla Raiding as I was too nub then and in the wrong guild for it.

The game was so HUGE, so much to do, places to go, quests galore, so much learning. I gobbled it up.

TBC raiding was a great starting experience and KZ was pretty fucking awesome. ZA was “ok”, Gruuls and Mags pretty good. What Mav calls “character development” IMO is more depth of play, rotations, abilities and the like. Looking back, it was more simplistic than where it progressed to.

TBC gaming, the world that was huge in vanilla got even BIGGER! There were new places, but they were in space. Umm, yeah, it’s a “fantasy” game, not “sci-fi”, so that whole thing felt a bit off. Loved the challenge and hated the challenge of some dungeons, once I got raiding, didn’t go as much until they gave you something for it.

WOTLK raiding was good and LK was a really solid “END BOSS” (though they added in the silly Ruby Sanctum to tide us over with the looooooong wait to Cata, I don’t count that as the end boss).

WOTLK gaming, MORE WORLD, but this time, ON THE RIGHT PLANET! Some zones were simply too big with too many quests. Dungeons…umm, yeah, once I started getting raid gear kissed em goodbye with my main.

Cata raiding started good and totally and completely flopped in the end. DS is really one of the worst raids I’ve played in…amongst all expansions. Putrid stinking filthy shit. Thanks Blizz for skipping an entire raid tier you promised! Again, Dragon Soul, the raid that we should never speak of again, because in case you missed it, was a big fat steaming pile of elephant shit.

Cata gaming…BARF! Well, that’s not fair really. The overall world DID need an overhaul and the whole adding flying to old zones was nice. The new zones, left much to be desired. I agree wholeheartedly, Nuke Vash, burn it to the fucking ground! Underwater zone my fucking ballsack. Indiana Jones quest line was pretty lame IMO. All in all, fuck it I’ll go back to my original sentiment, BARF! Dungeons, oh goodie, long dungeons again, but mostly pointless once the raid gear started flowing. Ridiculously linear questing which made it nearly impossible to group quest with friends whenever you wanted because they might be out of phase with you…BARF!

MoP…is still in progress, but I can say that it was nice to completely obliterate the vile taste of shit that DS left in my mouth (did I say how much I thought that raid sucked yet?). Bosses were more challenging again, faceroll was less prevalent in boss fights and mechanics. There has been a little regression with Siege of Org, but that was Blizz being too cute with ilvl and the built in nerf by continuing to allow ilvl VP increases upon release.

MoP gaming…sigh. Fo realz Rep grinds back with a vengeance? Really?! You guys said that was a huge mistake in Vanilla and wouldn’t do it again. What the fucking fuck?! Pandas? Fucking cutesy pandas? AND POKEMON?! Oh fuck the whole questing experience, the silly shit they’ve tried to implement again is lacking and pedestrian. I find nearly nothing rewarding or enjoyable about it whatsoever. Can I just say, dungeons again became a necessary evil only to obtain gear and have been completely ignored with disdain once raid gear was acquired.

The game as a whole to me is simply a means to get to raiding, everything else at this point is fucking bollocks. It would be great if they could find some magic to make leveling interesting somehow, questing to actually feel more interactive or relevant. Group questing returning would be nice, somewhat less forced linear progression and phasing. They went too far. I’ve thrown my hands up in the air regarding anything else outside of raiding, the game itself is just bland and redundant. Give me a new raid every 3-4 months.

3. September 30, 2013 at 5:07 pm | #3

Taki tell me how you really feel. I didn’t quite get that from this wall of text. :P
    And for what it’s worth, I think I was only in on one Loot Reaver raid. So if you had issues after I left, then don’t blame me! lol

• The Dictator
      September 30, 2013 at 5:27 pm | #4

O girl, I could go on.

I was teasing about the Reaver, sadly we got very few attempts. Just as we were at that point, it was maybe a week or two weeks before the announced the next expansion and it killed all motivation and people stopped.

4. September 30, 2013 at 5:38 pm | #5

I didn’t even mention loot reaver because we got so few attempts on him and gave up. So we really didn’t make it past Gruul/Mag (and loot reaver trash I suppose) lol.
    And you really *really* don’t have to go on.

5. Calilina
    October 1, 2013 at 2:29 pm | #6

Taki, you didn’t play Warcraft? The original game? TBC was in space because that’s where the lore took them, silly lol Burning Crusade is and will always be my fav. Some serious raid content there and I was one of the lucky few to experience it all…and all it cost was malnourishment and black lungs! >.> (I weighed about 40 lbs less than I do now and was smoking about a pack a day) MoP is definitely my second fav though. Love what they’ve done across the board. Period.

• The Dictator
      October 1, 2013 at 4:10 pm | #7

I played Warcraft 2 iirc, but really have paid less and less attention to the lore the longer I’ve played.

Aly, was talking about blathering about the game, not u fool.

6. Grimaldo
    October 8, 2013 at 6:59 am | #8

BC was where it’s at. That was my most hardcore rading, and I had my biggest accomplishments during that expansion.

LK I had a similar expierence to you ally. I thought the gameing was great. But I did very little raiding during that expansion. Mostly quested and pvp’d. It was kinda nice playing on my own time.

CATA well I joined MT in Cata :). This is also where I dropped healing and picked up tanking. Haven’t looked back. And yes DS was kinda shit, but those last 3-4 bosses were no joke. I like the idea of making the front end of “normal mode” raids easish. Let some raiding teams that aren’t exactly top notch progress a little bit and get pretties. Let the last bosses be the difficult ones. But the first DS bosses were a little bit too easy.

MOP I can’t out my finger in it, but I’m really not much of a fan. Maybe it’s just burn out, but I really only log in to raid. And I think that kinda sucks. When I think about the monthly fee, I think that really sucks. I think they put in too much busy work into this expansion. All those rep grinds. All those dailies. The legendary quest line. I haven’t even sniffed pvp in this expansion, and that’s unheard of for me. I also thought the start of the first raids were too difficult. Exact opposite of DS. An in this latest patch? I went to that stupid island the first day and haven’t went back. I guess my biggest problem with MOP is it jst ain’t that fun. If it wasn’t for MT and raiding I would of dropped WOW. And frankly, I’ve come close.

7. Myranda
    October 15, 2013 at 7:45 am | #9

WotLK was by far the best expansion. MoP is the worst. TBC and Cataclysm are both okay. I like TBC because it gave me my favorite class on Horde, but other than that it was a headache.

1. November 15, 2013 at 6:21 am | #1