Home > Guildies > I Have The Coolest Friends

I Have The Coolest Friends

I have to admit, I was inspired to make this post by a WoWInsider Blog. I’ve already sort of wrote about this here, and here. And maybe even here. But I haven’t really made a big picture general “I love you guys” post.

Before WoW (and even before the internet), I made friends the old fashioned way. School and work. And friends through friends. That was it. Being the shy introvert that I am (yes, really!), I have a small circle of “real life” friends. Then the internet came, and I made friends through chat rooms and other sites. I married and divorced one of those people. I became good friends with others – who crossed the realm into the “real”. One of the earliest “Chats” I used was a 2-D chat program called The Palace. We had cheesy avatars and “rooms” with cheesier backdrops. One of the first friends I made in Palace was April who lives in Florida. When my ex husband and I took a family trip to Disney World, we met her and got to hang out with her. We ended up losing touch over the years, sadly.

Then there was “Pooh”. I adopted him as my big brother. (not in the legal sense) He lived in MA at the same time I did, about an hour away from me. We ended up both divorcing our spouses at the same time, so we had a lot of “misery loves company” moments. We would get together drive out to central MA for the best ice cream in the world. Or we would take rides up to Hampton Beach, NH for the best scallops in the world. He suffered from bipolar disorder, and I’d have to say I saved his life more than once. He ended up moving out to the midwest to live with other friends we met through Palace.

When I picked up WOW, I kept in touch really with only 2 people from that old Palace chat. Pooh and my other “big brother” Pat. He was one that could always make me smile, no matter how sucky life became. He lives in NYC so I got to hang out with him at least twice a year as well. When I joined WOW, I joined the first incarnation of <Broken>. Since DGF was a small guild that was mainly a bunch of guys living in Boston that were RL friends of my boyfriend at the time, we all got together for bbq’s in the summer. So I guess you could say some of them were the first “WoW’ people I met in real life.

Since then, I met 8 of my MT guildies. So far! Two of which are no longer part of the guild. But getting back to the original post, why do we even need to classify “Real Life” friends and “Internet” friends? Is one type better than the other? Just because I haven’t seen all of you face to face doesn’t make you any less friends with me. We spend so much virtual time together, if anything you’re “more” friends than those I met outside of the internet. I spend that much more time with you. We share a lot (some more than others lol). And we genuinely care about what’s going on in each others lives. We congratulate marriages, new babies, new pets, new jobs, etc. We also commiserate when things aren’t going so well. I feel no less a part of your lives than other non-virtual friends. And you’re no less a part of my life than my non-virtual friends. Friends are friends. We’re all human. Nobody’s truly made up of pixels that resemble Yoda or a cow. So why make the distinction at all?

I ❤ you guys!

Advertisements
Categories: Guildies
  1. June 19, 2012 at 10:51 am

[X] LIKE – we love you too Aly!!!!

2. Cali
    June 20, 2012 at 9:11 am

I absolutely agree, Aly. I know it’s hard to believe, but I used to be super shy too…pick your jaw up from off your desk, it’s totally true. WoW really helped me break through and become the loud, obnoxious, but totally lovable woman you all know today. I don’t distinguish between my RL friends and my WoW friends anymore…although it is kinda weird to talk about guildies in front of other people and have to call them by their screen names…”Oh, Crix said that he’d be late tonight, Joe.”…”Who? What kind of name is that??” Doesn’t matter though. I love all of my guildies, past and present. Wouldn’t trade them for anything

❤ Christie

• June 20, 2012 at 9:28 am

LOL i know right.. some we call by real names others we call by game names. I mean I’m known as “aly” in game but “kimmy” in real life lol.. though “aly” is still technically part of my real name. I use middle name/nickname for internet identity.

But yeah there’s “Cali and Joe” hah.. and Seth and Kevin and Ame and the other Kevin… Steve and Crix and Reluu and Star and lord knows how many Mikes are in this guild (I lost count). When I was in DGF we were all known by our real first names. I wouldn’t mind being on first name basis with people in the guild but it *can* get confusing with multiple Mikes, Josh’s, Steve’s and Kevin’s (that I’m aware of). LOL

• Myr
        July 3, 2012 at 3:46 am

I am one of two Josh’s at my workplace. That get’s confusing and we’re both physically present! Maybe I should have people start calling me Myr in real life.

3. Crix
    June 21, 2012 at 3:51 am

YO hold up! Crix is never late! /evil smile 😉
    Butttt ya I feel the same way too… “real life” people annoy me b/c I can’t just ignore them 🙂

• Calianna
      June 21, 2012 at 1:15 pm

LOL I don’t think you’ve ever been late…at least, not that I can remember…;P

You can ignore them They probably won’t leave you alone though lol

• Crix
        June 23, 2012 at 8:25 am

lol I’ve been late a few times.. but all b/c of either work or reluu.. so not my fault 😛

As for people.. I just tell em to fuck off after I reach my limit with them

1. No trackbacks yet.