Guest Blog Mavros: Who Needs Sleep?
This guest blog is once again brought to you by MT’s Raid Officer Mavros. The man who never sleeps. The man who’s always raiding, or doing something WoW-related, even outside of the game. The man who, for some reason, still has a wife.
Sleep? I’ll sleep when I am……dead done raiding
I am self-proclaimed wow obsessed, more than that, I am healer obsessed. With 3 raiding healers and 2 ToT normal ready healers, it can easily be said that I have severe problems and should seek help immediately, unfortunately when I did seek help, Thrall told me to go do Battlefield Barrens and how could I deny the REAL warchief?! So, I started farming mobs, hey, it is better than dailies….
In game, I am the official Raid Leader of 2 Masochistic Tendencies raid teams, Team Moist and Team Reborn and the de facto raid leader of an alliance raid team on Draenor in the guild Palidrons.
I started really thinking about where I am in game and what commitments I have made and decided it was time to get it on paper and then to share. So, here it is in table format.
|Team||n/a||Team Moist||Team Moist||Palidrons guild on Draenor||Palidrons guild on Draenor||Team Reborn||Team Reborn|
|Hours of Raid||0||2.5||2.5||2.5||2.5||2||2.5|
|Hours of Sleep||5-6||5-6||5-6||4-5||4-5||5-6||5-6|
Total hours in raid a week = 14.5 hours
Total hours of sleep in a week = 33 – 40 hours
Total hours in game a week = I really don’t want to know…
Add this schedule to a wow hating wife, a 4 year old boy, a 1 year old boy, a cat, and a 40 hour a week job and it’s a party! I guess this post should be renamed to “addicted” rather than “sleep” as the undertone.
Ironically, I don’t feel a bit of burnout and on Tuesday, my night off, I get bored within an hour of logging on and am annoyed that I cannot find a pug on the dead Uldaman server (praying 5.4 fixes that!)
Recently, I spent time in LFR learning/mastering, or trying to at least, the art of fistweaving. Certainly, different than attonement, but fun and different enough to be new and a very good compliment to the “easy” monk healing rotation. I can’t deny the fact that punching things in the taint and healing while doing it feels really good. I just need to remember to keep the damn jade statue 20 yds from raiders. It was the last thing I wasn’t knowledgeable on in the healing category so I started to work on it in my spare time. I am still working it out to get better at it where it becomes natural and part of my muscle memory as attonement healing does. If I had to choose, disc priests tend to be my favorite healing class/spec right now, though changes to resto shaman are exciting and I love the 5.x changes thus far even if it is a touch underpowered in 10 man.
Also, I recently started subscribing and listening to a number of WOW podcasts and am actively watching the PTR patch notes almost daily for changes. For podcasts I am a big fan of CTR and Legendary and recently My Epic Heals. I even sent My Epic Heals an email to see if I could somehow contribute as someone with 3 raiding healers with full clears on all 3 with some boss tips for each class. They will probably ignore me and tell me to goto bed and get some sleep.
Anyway, so, what is a standard day for me? Let’s pretend it is Wednesday, Team Moist raid night # 1.
- Wake up at 6 am
- Make morning pee-pee
- Pack 3 bottles for the 1 year old
- Make coffee for myself
- Feed yogi the cat who is meowing as if he’s never been fed and rubbing up on my legs (feels good, I can’t lie)
- Wake the 1 year old, change diaper, pray he didn’t shit himself, stick him in his carrier, turn on TV to Nick Jr
- Wake the 4 year old, pry him out of bed as every answer is NO, help him get dressed, lay him on couch to watch Nick Jr with 1 year old until I am ready
- Lay out my clothes for work
- Brush teeth and shower
- Get dressed
- Pack car with bags and coffee and work laptop
- Start car and turn AC or heat on
- Set alarm, turn tv off, grab kids
- In car by 7:15-7:30 am
- 7:30 am-7:45 am, arrive at my parents house (aka grandparent daycare), drop kids off
- Drive 1 hour and 15 mins to work
- Listen to podcasts on way to work
- Arrive at work by 8:30 am
- Work til 11:30ish am
- Get lunch, surf MT forum, formulate strats, check logs, whatever, but 90% of the time, wow related
- 12:30ish, get back to work
- Leave work at 5 pm
- Listen to podcasts on way home from work
- Home by 5:45-6pm
- Feed kids
- Help bathe kids
- Play with kids
- Kids in bed by 8pm
- Optional: watch an episode of Sons of Anarchy or Dexter with wife (all nights except Wed/Thurs)
- I go downstairs to my dungeon and logon
- Come back upstairs to bed
- Optional: Think of alternate boss strat if applicable
- Ask wife if she wants to make a baby
(She always says no)
- I then sing, “sweet dreams, sleep tight, don’t let the bed bugs bite”
- Wife twitches and gets mad
- Sleep for 5-6 hours
- Pray 1 year old stays asleep all night
- Dream of killing Heroic Lei Shen
- BBBEEEPPPP, alarm, its 6 am
- Rinse Repeat….