Home > Confessions, Guild Leading > Confessions of a Guild Leader: World of Irony-craft

Confessions of a Guild Leader: World of Irony-craft

Pick your cliche: Shit happens. It’s part of the game. Pick another one, I don’t care.

In my 4+ years of leading a guild, I have seen a bit of turnover. But I’ve seen more loyalty than anything. That’s my priority as a guild leader – to not just recruit great people, but to also keep them around. The majority of MT’s raiders has been here for years. And I mean yearssssss. Can’t get much more loyal or dedicated than that. But as I’ve learned over the years, it’s just not enough sometimes.

I’ve seen it happen before, and I’m sure I’ll see it happen again. MT has been a fairly large guild for the past few years. We’ve run multiple 10 man raid teams. So it shouldn’t really come as a complete surprise when one of the teams decides that they should be their own guild. A team made up of members that have mostly been here for yearssss.

Ironically, their new guild leader has always publicly said that splinter guilds and small startup guilds never last and should be part of a bigger guild instead of trying to make it on their own. He can say what he wants about the shell of the guild having existed for years, but this is a startup guild, and you’re welcome for the groundwork that I laid out for ya. 🙂 Ironically, it was that guild that originally floundered, and caused the leadership to take refuge in MT. And ironically they’re back resurrecting the guild with at least 8 of MT’s longtime members. It’s a good thing we still have 2 other teams, so not a whole lot will change. Except the players in the leadership ranks.

Of course I’ll get over it. We’ll all get over it. I  have before, and I will again. Ironically, one of my resulting officer promotions was the same foo that did the same thing 4 years ago. Ironically, he did the same thing 4 years ago almost to the day. It was Friday the 13th in November, and it was ugly. But we got over it. And MT was born from it. And he’s been back for a couple of years, now as an officer, ironically enough. If anyone is superstitious, you could say this is a great thing, and MT will be better because of it.

Advertisements
Categories: Confessions, Guild Leading
  1. November 12, 2013 at 11:15 am

Good Lord! Was it really four years ago we were deciding on a guild name? Wow… You could probably name names regarding who is masterminding this exodus, though they won’t resonate with me, been away too long and frankly don’t care who they are. That said, I’m sure that as long as you want it to Bosslady…Masochistic Tendencies will survive.

2. Myranda
    November 12, 2013 at 12:24 pm

I sense an undertone of bitterness there…

It has been a lot of years. I think I voted against the name Masochistic Tendencies if I remember correctly. Honestly, I think I’d stay in MT even if we were a leveling guild with no aspirations of raiding. Raiding has a tendency to make people think funny things and behave in strange ways. It’s a fun part of the game, but it’s not the only part of the game.

I’m not mad at the people who are leaving. To each his own. Do I feel a tiny bit betrayed? Maybe a little. As you mentioned, some of them took refuge in MT when their own guilds had troubles. Others didn’t even know what raiding was when MT was formed, I think.

Still, it’s a tremendous accomplishment to have been able to foster, build, and strengthen a group so well that they can exist on their own. You did that, Aly, and that’s something to be proud of. People will come and go, but that shouldn’t diminish what you’ve accomplished.

And as you say, some of us will be loyal to the end. I’ll stop playing WoW before I leave MT.

• November 12, 2013 at 12:32 pm

❤ Myr. You're right. It's amazing how drastically attitudes change when they taste a bit of success. Raiding does make people behave in strange ways. I have to keep myself grounded in the fact that it IS only a game. And there's a reason, besides raiding, why many of MT's members have been here as long as they have. To me it's always been more than just raiding. It's been about community, camaraderie, making new friends and killing internet dragons together. I think I lost sight of that for a while.

• November 12, 2013 at 12:54 pm

i DID leave WoW before leaving MT… 🙂

• November 13, 2013 at 5:50 am

LOL so did Myr, but he always comes back. 🙂
        I’ll see you back when WOD hits, yes?

3. November 14, 2013 at 9:19 am

Imo.
    Leadership is responsible for success and failure. When the oil tanker runs aground even if the captain was asleep, he’s responsible. Likewise when seal team 83 kills the dragon and rescues the princess, its the commander that gets the credit not the grunts. Tank success or healz failure :-p .
    I have been in some seriously fail guilds before. And they all have one common denominator, fail gm. Ultimately the gm is responsible for the ppl allowed in the guild, assigning officers and duties, making their expectations clear, policies, MORALE, and a whole bunch of other stuff I don’t need to take up 100 pages listing. Hats off to ally for making my time at MT pretty much drama free, ty. Until recently. And honestly this, whatever exactly happened, hasn’t increased my drama load significantly, again, TY, everyone involved.

The big questions I would ask, putting myself in gm shoes for a minute.
    WHY? Why did the top raid team in my guild leave? All of them. At the same time.
    Once u answer that question we can go to.
    What could I have done differently to have prevented this, if anything. What can I do in the future to ensure this doesn’t happen next Friday the 13th? Do I need to change some policies? Some officers are leaving. What did I like about them? What did I not like about them? Using that I can find new officers that will forward my agenda, guild and goals in the direction I want to go, or screwit, just pick someone that’s been here for a long time and hope for the best.
    How is morale? In the guild and on each individual raid team? Was that a contributing factor? Personally I don’t know, the lack of drama has kept me in the dark lol. Did I support my raiders sufficiently? Or did I neglect them? If there not complaining they must be fine? Or wait no ones bitching, there must be a serious problem. Or did I get too involved?
    I do know that I and others will miss the people leaving, time will tell if its the best thing that could have every happened or if this is the beginning of the end of MT or somewhere in between is my guess.
    My 2c worth.

• November 14, 2013 at 10:04 am

Tard, thank you for this response, it is much appreciated. Fortunately in this case, there really was no drama involved. We tried to make that group work in MT, but ultimately, there was a disconnect and a conflict between the guild and what this group represented.

The team that left would probably be better people to ask the “why” questions, but in a nutshell, they were a bit of an “exception” to what MT had originally stood for. They had their own group rules, and their own loot system. Why shouldn’t they be their own guild, with their Raid Leader truly leading them? It made sense for them.

There are a hundred things that I probably could have done differently, but it may not have necessarily prevented this. I have made mistakes as a guild leader, I am human after all, and I own up to those mistakes.

I don’t think I’d go as far as saying this is the “best thing that ever happened”, but I also don’t see it as “the beginning of the end”. But I do try to find a silver lining. I’ve taken a step back this xpac, and it’s time for me to get back in touch with my guild mates.

/cheers

• Smash
        November 14, 2013 at 5:24 pm

I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will fall frozen dead from a bough, without ever having felt sorry for itself.

Master Chief John James Urgayle – GI Jane.

But really……D.H. Lawrence

Meh..

4. November 18, 2013 at 11:20 am

I am bitter about it I have many friends that left and it was slip in vent one day when I was on that this was planned weeks ago, I didn’t make anything of it but guess I should have said something. But since MoP the raid team in question it had it good, they took any members they needed, and when the guild had to reshuffle raiders(over 2 times) they were unaffected. I just want to know why they left to me it seem like they had it good they were in there own bubble and used the other raid teams as “minor league farming teams”.

I think 2 of them said good bye this was people I talk to in guild chat everyday, like I said this was plan weeks in advance, people we call friends just drop us like a ton of bricks without saying a word.

• November 18, 2013 at 11:31 am

I can definitely understand the hurt, Tai. I have felt a lot of emotions about this in the past week ranging from hurt, bitterness, betrayal, grief and acceptance.

I have unfortunately experienced this a lot in game. But that doesn’t mean they are no longer friends. We will still keep in touch through Facebook, battle tags, and even run some things together. We are still on the same sever, so it wasn’t so much of “goodbye” as it was “see you around”. They didn’t mean to hurt anyone here. They just want different things out of the game from what MT can offer. I honestly can’t fault anyone for that.

5. brulador
    November 19, 2013 at 6:53 am

sorry I agree with tai. it was “o, by the way, we are all gone see ya”. and he is right in everything he said, they took who they needed from other teams, were never affected by roster shuffles, and we suffered for it. all I have to say is don’t let the door hit you in the ass.

6. brulador
    November 19, 2013 at 7:03 am

I apologize for the perceived bitterness at times in this x-pac from me, it had been particularly rough in this group as far as turnover, especially since august, when we have been through basically a team and a half worth of people. having more then half the raid team quit at once in august after 1 shen kill just very much reminded me of my own guild on eonar after we downed DW in cata.. 2 kills and 7 peeps just quit. boom done. it has brought back some bad memories. NONE of which has anything to do with the way you have run the guild Ally. I love MT, it has become my home.

• November 19, 2013 at 7:48 am

I totally agree… the issues we had over the summer sucked. With a capital SUCK. I was probably more frustrated than anyone here, because this is shit we really can’t control. And when as the leader, I have to deal with and “fix” factors completely out of my control, I just wanted to rage. And I actually did rage and almost completely lost my shit on more than one occasion (that thankfully most of you didn’t see!). People come and go. It’s part of the game. And we roll with it.

7. November 19, 2013 at 8:11 am

Hi guys… I guess It’s time from someone who “left” to set the record straight here.

Yes, it was planned weeks ago. The entire team discussed it and decided this was the move we needed to make for our own sanity. The reason, for the perceived ideas above. TM is not anything you guys wrote and I think if you remember the facts, you will realize that.

TM had some things good. But what you don’t see is all the abuse we took from so many others because we were the “progression” team and there were preconceived ideas about our attitudes that never really existed but you all made them exist in your head so therefore they became truth.

TM never used the others as a farm group and we never got to take anyone we wanted from a team. Only 4 people moved to TM from other groups throughout the MoP expansion. They were Fuzzy, Ishen, Feelings, and Sins. 3 of those 4 people would have quit the guild and went somewhere else had they not been able to move because they wanted more than what they were getting in the other teams. Every other time TM needed a fill-in, we took an alt. Please do not sit there and tell me that the other teams became our farming teams because if that were the case there would have been much more taken from those teams than just the 4 that came.

The reason TM wasn’t reshuffled around, was because we meshed together. Most of the time, we didn’t need a new person either (except the whole Kep, Sy, and Bukk situation, which btw, we recruited outside of the guild for). Our group liked each other and worked well together. Another reason was because Aly tried to put all like minded people together. TM was all like minded people who wanted heroic kills so we were left alone.

Oh another point I want to make… When another team needed someone to fill-in, who filled in for them? 99.99% of the time, it was a TM person. Two TM people are still in MT finishing out this expansion because they made a commitment to the other 8 people in that group. If we were total d-bags like most of you are trying to make us out to be, and I assume that’s because you are hurt that we packed up and left, Mav and I both would have moved our second mains out and left Team Sticky high and dry without a RL and a Tank.

TM is not the group of people you are making them out to be in your head. If you want to know the truth about why we left, why don’t you come ask us? I will gladly talk to you about any of it.

Now please, can you stop bashing TM on this blog post? I know most if it is hurt feelings coming from you guys, but seriously, enough is enough!

• Myranda
      November 19, 2013 at 9:00 am

I’m not one of the people who think you are all evil people, but given the situation, I do think someone in TM (probably Mav; maybe you) could have done a better job pro-actively explaining the situation on the forums. It’s good that you finally spoke up now, but perhaps take this to the forums? More people are going to read that and it may help clear things up.

Not being an officer or online all the time, all I saw was Aly’s announcement in the forums and that was that. No real explanation from the people who were leaving. So I can see how people might have felt like they were just abandoned.

Again, I’m not saying I’m one of those people. Just saying communication could have been better from you guys. Any time something like this happens, there’s going to be drama. It’s sadly unavoidable. You guys wanted different things. I get it. Does it hurt a little? Sure it does. An ended relationship always stings, even if it’s for the best.

8. November 19, 2013 at 8:19 am

I would like to point out here, that the comments of a few do not represent the opinions of MT as a whole. I’ve been allowing these comments, because I wanted to provide an outlet for members who felt hurt by what happened. It came as a shock to many, and there have been a lot of mixed feelings about this.

I also want to remind everyone that this is a public blog. And while everyone has a right to free speech, please remember to keep this civil. When there are hurt feelings and high emotions, it’s easy to get overly dramatic. That’s not the intention with this post. This is a very open discussion, and I urge everyone not to take any comments personally.

I do appreciate and value everyone’s comments and opinions.

9. November 19, 2013 at 8:37 am

And just a technical side note to Reluu’s post (no dramas, I promise) Feelings didn’t leave a raid team when I joined TM. I mean, technically, I was assigned the Thur/Fri team, but we hadn’t raided yet, not even once, literally, for well over a month (and I know you have to feel me on this Bru because you and I were two, among a few others, who did show up weekly and had been busting our ass to gear up as well as we could without raiding). When spriest Hypno quit, I wasn’t actively recruited. I applied. The only chance I had HAD to raid thus far into the expansion was as a substitute TM dps..

• sins
      November 19, 2013 at 9:43 am

At least as far as I’m concerned yes I would of left the guild if I didn’t switch teams. I stayed with team yakk twice over to keep the group together and put aside what I wanted to accomplish and i did enjoy most of the people I played with. New teir came yakk left, groups were getting reshuffled and I wanted more. I know a lot of you don’t know me since I’m usually online only at raid times or early mornings but even if I wanted to post something on the mt page I was kicked off the site.

• November 19, 2013 at 9:46 am

Players were removed from the site once they left the guild.

• Bojangles
        November 19, 2013 at 12:45 pm

So what was causing your “insanity” as you guys describe it?

Still trying to find a stated reason for leaving. I don’t see it anywhere. What are you doing in a different guild tag that you couldn’t do here? I don’t understand how the guild affected you negatively. Other than just the glory of being in a “hardcore” guild vs. a casual guild. Which is a vanity thing if anything, hardly has any tangible benefit or detriment.

Anyway, I’m new, you don’t owe me an explanation, I’m just curious.

10. mav
    November 19, 2013 at 4:09 pm

my response will be on the MT forum for a formal/official response to this all

1. February 14, 2014 at 12:50 pm